02 September 2014

Upcycling: Before and After, Shabby Chic Dressing Table

Before and After - Dressing Table Makeover

This dresser came from a work colleague who wanted to give it a fresh makeover so that it would fit nicely in her newly decorated bedroom and match her painted bedside tables.
If you look closely you can see one of the drawer knobs was missing.  This wasn't an issue as I had some amazing crystal knobs on standby ready for this particular transformation.  However, when it came to the removal of the current knobs I realised there was a slight problem.  The knobs had been fixed to the drawers in such a way that replacing them would prove to be difficult.  The drilled whole was only partially through the drawer so in order to fit my lovely new knobs I needed to extend the hole using an electric drill.
Once the holes had been drilled I was ready to paint.  Of course no sanding or primer was needed as I was using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, all it needed was a wipe down with a damp cloth.  I did two coats of ASCP 'Old White' and two coats of Annie Sloan 'Clear Wax'. As the dressing table top needed to be more durable I applied an extra coat of wax to this part.  Once it had all been buffed I attached the new knobs and it was ready to go!
All the parts of this dressing table were easily taken apart which made painting a lot easier. The after photo above shows the parts placed together (not fixed with screws).  I kept them separate so that transporting it to my colleague's home was easier.
Here are a couple of 'work in progress' photos.


xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment