11 March 2015

Beauty: Top 10 tips for fighting acne

Acne fighting tips

As someone who suffers with hormonal acne I find it very difficult getting tips on managing the problem. Hormonal acne is pretty much incurable (unless you are willing to take hormone controlling medication such as the contraceptive pill) and sometimes it's just a case of waiting for the body's hormone levels to change.  If you don't want to take medication there are some topical treatments you can get on prescription that may help manage your acne. I spent my teenage years constantly going back and forth to the doctors to find something that worked for me.  Nothing did. In fact most of them made the condition of my skin worse and I have therefore learnt to manage my flare ups on my own using over the counter products and wanted to share with you my recent beauty routine and diet changes that have seemed to keep it under control. I want to make a point of saying that I am not a dermatologist, these are just my own views and what I have learnt from my own experiences.  I would advise seeing a qualified dermatologist if you require more specific advice and treatment.

1. Routine.  Stick to a strict morning and evening skincare routine (cleanse, tone, moisturise).

2. Never use face wipes. I take my make up off with Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water £4.99 as it actually lifts off the make up and dirt instead of just moving it around your face.

3. Double cleanse.  Once I have taken my make up off, I then cleanse again using La Roche Posay Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel £11.00 to get all the dirt I may have missed from the first cleanse.

3. Exfoliate using a micro-exfoliant lotion.  I stopped using a face scrub to exfoliate as I found that it was too harsh and aggravated my spots and sometimes caused skin damage.  I switched to La Roche Posay Effaclar Clarifying Lotion £11.00 and find that it unblocks my pores in a more gentle way.

4. Moisturise.  You may think that because you have acne, you must have very oily skin and this might put you off moisturising.  However, a lot of acne prone skin is severely dehydrated and so it is important to use a light, non-comedogenic moisturiser. Make sure you use the correct moisturiser for your skin type.  I use Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion £8.99 as it is light, fragrance free and great for dry or sensitive skin.

5. Use an acne fighting treatment.  Keep it simple and use just one -find one that works for you. I particularly like The Body Shop's Tea Tree Skin Clearing Lotion £3.00.  It doesn't cost a bomb and the tea tree has  natural anti-bacterial properties.  You can almost feel it working when you apply it. I use this in the evenings before I go to bed and I wake up to a much more even skin tone and most of the redness has gone.

6. Take good quality vitamin supplements.  If like me, you don't eat as much fruit and veg as you should, then it is important to take supplements.  I take Natrol JuiceFestiv Fruit and Vegetable Supplements £19.84. They contain 46 fruits and vegetables, anti-oxidants, probiotics and digestive enzymes. Definitely more than your recommended 5-a-day! I have noticed a massive difference in my skin since taking these (you will see results after a few weeks).  They don't supply these in the UK so I have to order from the US and wait weeks for them to arrive but so worth it!

7. Apples.  An apple a day, really does keep the doctor away.  Everything about apples screams anti-acne.  Just read this article about a man who ate only apples for 3 days and his acne disappeared!

8. Lots of water.  It is so important to re-hydrate your skin and this needs to be done from the inside as well as using topical moisturisers.  Drinking 2 litres of water a day will instantly make your spots look less red, less prominent and less angry.  Keep it up for a couple of weeks and you will see a drastic change.

9. Green tea.  I have started to drink at least one cup of green tea a day and have noticed quite a big change in not only my acne but the general quality of my skin.  Green tea has so many anti-oxidants and is just so good for you.  Replace your morning or afternoon cup of coffee for green tea and you will see the difference too.

10. De-stress.  Stress plays a huge factor in my skin condition.  I used to get upset and stressed about my acne. When I had a bad week or found myself feeling this way it just got worse. Sometimes I felt like just ripping my face off.  As I have gotten older I have realised that that people just don't care that I have spots. The only person that does is me and me alone.  No one is looking at me because of my acne.  No one cares. People are just too tied up in their own problems and insecurities to care about other people's appearances. Nowadays, my flare ups don't really bother me. I get on with my day regardless and stick to my morning and evening routine. I have definitely found that the less I care, the less acne I have. Once you realise all of this on your own you will feel much better about yourself.

So what tips do you have that have helped you manage your acne, or get rid of it all together? I would love to know in the comments below.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment